Everything we do at New Liberty Innovation School stems from our central beliefs about our students and our philosophy about what creates a healthy, safe, and effective educational environment.
- Our students come first. As a staff, we always prioritize student needs when making decisions, policies and plans for the school.
- We understand that obstacles in your personal life can impact your academic success. Our first order of business is to address the obstacles that get in the way of learning. We begin by organizing basic stabilization services for our students and then move on to more complex issues of education and employment.
- We believe that trust and respect are taught by example and earned over time. We recognize that many of our students live adult lives with complex responsibilities. We respect our students as adults and create school policies and procedures that reflect this central understanding.
- Everyone has the ability to learn. No exceptions. People learn in different ways. Some people learn faster than others. Certain subjects are harder for some than others. But in the right situation, everyone can learn. And the more our self-confidence grows, the better we learn.
- Learning can happen anywhere and can take many forms. We learn by talking to others, reading, writing, solving a problem, or creating something new. We learn by watching someone show us how to do something, and by showing others how to do something. Learning can also happen when we are alone or when we are part of a group.
- All of Salem’s youth deserve a chance to earn a high school diploma; some just need to take a different path to get there. By providing that path, NLIS fulfills the moral imperative to give under-served youth a second chance.